website woes & drupal upgrade

Yesterday I found that this site was broken. The homepage would load fine but any attempt to access linked pages or articles gave an "internal server" error. After a bit of poking around & some support emails to the friendly people at ukfsn (Jason) it appeared to be related to drupal's use of mod_rewrite. But why now? I guess the webserver was recently upgraded or tweaked and this revealed that drupal wasn't playing well and imposed some new limits on it.. causing it to break.

After a lot of searching I found that the "Internal Serveral Error" could be got rid of by adding "RewriteBase /" to .htaccess. You'd think this is the default setting that would be used if no RewriteBase entry was there... but I guess not. Unfortunately by now, the whole Drupal 5.x install was upset and partly generating clearn_urls, partly not. So after a quick backup of the db, I set about about installing the latest Drupal 6 release candidate... ... hence the colour scheme & everything is back at defaults for the moment, and I need to go find & re-install all those modules....